The Adirondack Explorer is a not-for-profit magazine, dedicated to promoting the enjoyment, wise use and lasting protection of the Adirondack Park. Part of our mission is to provide a regional advertising opportunity for smaller businesses at a reasonable cost. The Explorer has been published in Saranac Lake, NY since 1998.
FORMAT: Tabloid- style news magazine, 11 ½ "x 13 ½”, 68- 76 pages and full digital version.
FREQUENCY: 7 times a year (bi-monthly plus June Annual Outings Guide)
CIRCULATION: Average print ($27.95/year) and digital ($18/year) subscriber households, retail sales and ad client distribution of 14,000. Readership of 40,000+.
DISTRIBUTION: Print: 80% throughout New York State, 15% Adirondacks, 5% other.
Digital: 67% outside the Park, 12% fulltime Adirondacks, 21% second home in Adirondacks.
42% subscribe to both print and digital editions.
TARGET AUDIENCE: Adults with interests in the people, wildlife, environment, and outdoor recreation opportunities of the Adirondack area.
DEMOGRAPHICS: Our most recent print and digital subscriber survey indicates:
70% of subscribers are between 45-64 years;
49% of print subscribers have household income above $100,000;
19% have income above $150,000;
47% of digital subscribers have a post-graduate degree.
OUTDOOR INTERESTS: 88% enjoy hiking, 78% photography, 71% paddling,
52% x-c skiing, 42% birding, 37% bicycling, 9% rock climbing.
LOYALTY: 72% of the subscribers keep their Explorers for more than a year. 74% share the magazine with “someone outside the home”. 3+ readers per subscriber issue.
2112 ADVERTISING RATES:
Frequency (x) and cost of each ad per issue
Full Page/Back Cover: 1x $3000, 3x $2750, 7x $2500
Full Page/Inside Front or Back Cover: 1x $2500, 3x $2300, 7x $2100
Full Page: 1x $1900, 3x $1800, 7x $1700
1/2 Page: 1x $950, 3x $850, 7x $800
1/3 Page: 1x $750, 3x $700, 7x $600
1/4 Page: 1x $600, 3x $500, 7x $450
1/6 Page: 1x $400, 3x $350 (each), 6x $300 (each)
To receive the above discounts, ads must run consecutively.
Payments later than 30 days from original invoice will incur a 1.5% late fee per month on all charges. Invoices for each ad are sent the first week of publication.
Ad design is not included in the ad rates.
Full page: 10" W x 12 1/2" H
1/2 page: 4 7/8" W x 12 1/2 " H (or) 10" W x 6" H
13/page: 4 7/8" W x 8" H (or) 10"W x 4" H
1/4 page: 4 7/8" W x 6" H
1/6 page: 4 7/8" W x 4" H
All ads should be submitted in a PDF format. All source art should be converted to CMYK before PDFs are created.
Please encapsulate or outline ALL FONTS.
For best reproduction, all images should be scanned at 300 dpi and 100% (same size as image appears in ad). Scan logos and line art at 1200 dpi.
Please make sure the ad dimensions are correct. If there are any sizing or font concerns with your ad and we need to fix, a design fee will be charged.
For any questions about submitting an ad, or having an ad designed for you, contact Betsy Dirnberger at (518) 891-9352.
Submit ads via email to email@example.com
Ads can also be uploaded to our ftp site. Contact us for details.
Design and composition services are charged at $40 an hour. If there are fonts or sizing concerns that must be corrected with a submitted ad, a design fee will be charged.
January/February - November 20
March/April - January 20
May/June - March 20
June Annual Outings Guide - April 20
July/August - May 20
September/October - July 20
November/December - September 20
2011 Online Ads - Rates & Dimensions
Rates: $400 per Quarter
Dimensions: 144 pixels wide x 234 pixels high @ 72 dpi.
Advertisers in the Adirondack Explorer magazine, who advertise consecutively in 7 issues, will receive a FREE link on our website’s Advertisers Page to their own website. We ask our 7x advertisers to reciprocally provide a link to our website. Our print advertisers will have their ads designed FREE.
For advertisers doing both print and online ads, special discounts are available for online
Posting of banner ads and advertiser links will take place quarterly. Ads are due 5 weeks before the start of any quarter. Ads will not be run in less than quarterly time-frames.
All ads are accepted at the discretion of the publisher. An online advertiser need not be a print advertiser in the magazine, but ads will be screened for appropriateness and suitability, and are subject to our Advertising Policies.
1st Quarter Deadline (Jan, Feb, March): November 20
2nd Quarter Deadline (April, May, June): February 20
3rd Quarter Deadline (July, August, Sept): May 20
4th Quarter Deadline (Oct, Nov, Dec): August 20
General Advertising Policies
1. The Adirondack Explorer has the right to reject any advertisement at any time for any reason.
2. Advertisers assume full liability for their ads.
3. Ad cancellations from advertisers are not accepted after the deadline for ad submission; payment for the ad is due whether the ad is run or not.
4. For ads that run as part of a multiple-ad agreement, the previous issue’s ad will be run if a new ad or instructions for designing a new ad are not received before the ad submission deadline.
5. Payment for each ad is due within 30 days of invoicing. Invoices are sent the first week each issue is published.
6. Accounts that are delinquent past 30 days incur a 1.5% late fee per month on all charges. Accounts that are past 90 days will be sent to a collection agency and will incur the additional charges of the Explorer’s cost to collect the monies owed. Accounts that are seriously delinquent will not have their ads run and will owe for all ads both run and ordered.
7. If an advertiser declines to run all the ads ordered in a multiple-ad agreement, payment for the difference between the original discount rate and the higher rate for the fewer ads actually run, will be due immediately. Payment will also be due immediately for the remaining ads not run.
8. Ads designed by the Explorer will be emailed to the advertiser for approval. If approval is not given in a timely fashion or within 48 hours, the ad will be assumed to be approved and will run as designed.
9. Advertising rates may change at the discretion of the publisher.